Sunday, July 27, 2008

Holly-Leaf Redberry Harvest

I was so lucky yesterday to have had the opportunity to wilde harvest with my two friends. We went to Descanso area where the heat of the summer day was taking hold. The plants were thriving in their favored environment and bearing fruit that instantly caught the eyes attention.
Holly-Leaf Redberry

Rhamnus ilicifolia

Rhamnaceae/Buckthorn Family

Native to CA, AZ, no.BC.

Chaparral, Woodlands

Traditionally, a decoction of Redberry root and bark was used by Native people as a tonic. This decoction was also used to treat colds, coughs and internal pains. A root decoction increased urination and acted as a laxative. Redberry cured boils and carbuncles, as well as stomach troubles and other internal disorders. The smoke of the burning Redberry was inhaled to relieve headaches and rheumatic pain. The bright red fruits of Redberry were eaten with meat by California Natives and the mashed ripe berries were used to poultice sores.

As for my harvest, I separated the berries and placed them in a zip lock bag, in the freezer, to keep until I have a chance to use them. I think they will be nice shared with some Elder Berry to garnish a meat dish. I will also perhaps try them as a fresh poultice when the need should arise. As for the woody stems, I will sort them, dry some for future decoctions, and use plenty of the fresh in a deep infusion for a very special soap. I'm thinking RedBerry Summer Silk.